Before reading on, be sure to read our short tutorial on What Tor is. Clicky
So you've decided that you want to use Tor with Privoxy to login and chat anonymously on AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). In this short, beginner's tutorial we'll show you how to do so.
First things first, you'll need:
- And you'll need to download (and install) Tor. Check out the screenshot below, and then grab the "Vidalia Bundle" as shown below, from this link. Clicky
Just make sure to check all of the boxes in the installation, and let it install. (You probably won't need to choose the option to let it start with Windows, but that's your choice).
Once you've got everything installed, run the "Privoxy" program first. If you Run the "Vidalia" program first, you'll get an error message from Privoxy saying there's another proxy program setup using that port (which is Polipo)
Once you run Privoxy, you'll see in the Privoxy window where it says: "Privoxy(00001ec8) Info: Listening on port 8118 for local connections only", and the Privoxy icon in your system tray.
Next, run the "Vidalia" program. You'll see the icon in your system tray first turn Yellow as it's connecting, and finally Green once it's actually connected to the Tor network, as shown below:
Once it connects, the next thing you'll need to do is start AIM (if it's not already running), and goto your AIM Settings by either pressing F7 or clicking the "Menu" link at the top of the window, and selecting Settings. Once on the Settings screen, click on "Connection, and follow the screenshot below as to what to enter and select:
Privoxy is set by default to use port 8118. If you've changed it or it's different, you can just look in the Privoxy screen to see which port it's using and enter that Port here instead.
Once you click the "Apply" and "Save" Buttons, just connect to AIM as usual, and you're now anonymous in your chatting
The first thing you'll always want to do after connecting is to go to the Privoxy window, to confirm that you're connected to Tor and anonymous. If you see things scrolling on the Privoxy window like this, you're all hooked up!
Changing your "Identity" on the little green Tor icon in your system tray, fetches you a new IP address each time you click it, it may or may not be a faster or better connection.
2. To disconnect from the Tor network, just right click the Tor icon in the system tray, and choose "Stop Tor" or "Exit".
3. Tor has plenty of configuration options that you can play with and tweak. We have shown you the basics on simply how to get up and running on Tor with AIM. Feel free to play around with the settings!
4. You may want to try using Tor with AIM and Polipo (or other ways) as well! Be sure to either click the links below, or search/surf GeekDrop for our tutorials for beginners on how to do so!
5. To go back to using AIM without Tor, just uncheck that box in the Connections tab and Apply/Save. You'll be back to using your regular connection again. Next time you want to chat anonymously again, just re-check the box after starting up Privoxy and Vidalia, and re-connect to AIM.
And that's it!, Happy anonymous chatting!
Read More ...